LHM Daily Devotion - April 15, 2021 "Meeting Us Where We Are"

I love how simply Jesus deals with the disciples in this story. He knows...
I love how simply Jesus deals with the disciples in this story. He knows...

Lutheran Hour Ministries
Donate
Share: Email Share: Twitter Share: Facebook
Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries
"Meeting Us Where We Are"
April 15, 2021
Luke 24:36-44 - As they were talking about these things, Jesus Himself stood among them, and said to them, "Peace to you!" But they were startled and frightened and thought they saw a spirit. And He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Touch Me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have." And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. And while they still disbelieved for joy and were marveling, He said to them, "Have you anything here to eat?" They gave Him a piece of broiled fish, and He took it and ate before them.

I love how simply Jesus deals with the disciples in this story. He knows that they are in shock. He knows they can't believe their eyes. And so He doesn't force them to move any faster than they are able to go. He shows them His scars. He lets them check to see He is really flesh and bone. He even eats in front of them. He gives them time to take it all in.

Jesus meets His disciples where they are, not where He would like them to be. It would have been so easy for Him to say, "I told you all this was going to happen. It's in the Bible, too. Why is it taking so long for you to get it through your thick skulls?" But no, Jesus is patient with them. He loves them. And so He gives them all the proof they need before He moves on to the next thing on the agenda—the coming of the Holy Spirit and their mission to the world.

Jesus is patient with us like this, too. He doesn't yell at us, even when He has every reason to. He knows what we are—as David put it, "As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust" (Psalm 103:13-14). And He knows what we will be, too: "Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when He appears we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him as He is" (1 John 3:2).

Jesus is gentle and tender-hearted with us, just as He was with His clueless disciples. And this is no surprise, because He is the One who chose to suffer, die on a cross, and rise again, all to make us His own. If He loved you that much then, He loves you just as much today.

THE PRAYER: Lord, help me to respond to Your love with trust and courage. In Your Name. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Dr. Kari Vo.

Reflection Questions:

1. Have you ever had to deal with people who were slow to catch on? How did it affect you?

2. Do you ever worry about God being disappointed in you?

3. What specific things help you to remember how much God loves you?

Today's Bible in a Year Reading: Judges 4-6; Luke 13:1-22
Print this Devotion
Subscribe to this Podcast
Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin! Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).
Change Their World. Change Yours.
This Changes Everything.
Facebook Twitter YouTube Vimeo LinkedIn Amazon Smile PayPal
Select your email subscriptions | Opt out of all LHM email communications using TrueRemove®
View this email online.
This email was sent to jonahs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.