LHM Daily Devotion - April 24, 2021 "For the Children"

As we all know, life is full of surprises, and not a few of them can ...
As we all know, life is full of surprises, and not a few of them can ...

Lutheran Hour Ministries
Donate
Share: Email Share: Twitter Share: Facebook
Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries
"For the Children"
April 24, 2021
Isaiah 41:10 - Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

As we all know, life is full of surprises, and not a few of them can bring us concern and sometimes fear. It is in these times that God's voice speaks to us with love and mercy always saying, "Fear not, fear not, for I am always with thee." This is also what Jesus said when He ascended into heaven: "Lo, I am with you always" (Matthew 28:20b).

Now, as we talk about the fears and phobias so many adults have, let's not forget our special loved ones: our children. There is a great deal parents can do to alleviate children's fears if they think about it.

First of all, always assure your children of your unchanging love. No matter what they do you still love them. You may not always approve of their actions and out of love you may have to discipline them. But in all of this, your children need to know you love them.

Second, constantly remind your children that God loves them, also. Explain that they, too, can see the evidence of God's love by looking at the cross of Calvary where Jesus was crucified. Tell them again and again how God the Father sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross to pay for all of their mistakes and all of their failures.

Third, assure your loved ones that God sends a guardian angel to watch over them. The Bible tells us that God provides His children with "ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation" (Hebrews 1:14b).

Finally, teach your children a simple prayer they can pray every day; a prayer reminding them they need not fear. I would suggest you teach your children Luther's morning prayer as a daily reminder of God's presence. The prayer goes like this:

"In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. I thank You, my Heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen."

As God's children, young or old, let us remember to call on Him who is always there for us.

THE PRAYER: Heavenly Father, comfort us with Your peace and the promise of Your protection. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.

From "God Wants to Remove Your Fears," a sermon excerpt from Rev. Dr. Wallace Schulz, former Speaker of The Lutheran Hour

Reflection Questions:

1. How does God ease your fears?

2. When have you experienced the activity of a guardian angel? What happened?

3. What do you say to assure your kids/grandkids that God is watching over them?

Today's Bible in a Year Reading: 1 Samuel 4-6; Luke 18:1-23
Print this Devotion
Subscribe to this Podcast
Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin! Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).
Change Their World. Change Yours.
This Changes Everything.
Facebook Twitter YouTube Vimeo LinkedIn Amazon Smile PayPal
Select your email subscriptions | Opt out of all LHM email communications using TrueRemove®
View this email online.
This email was sent to jonahs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.