LHM Daily Devotion - April 30, 2021 "God's Unparalleled Treasure"

The Bible is an unparalleled treasure. But it's a treasure that needs to...
The Bible is an unparalleled treasure. But it's a treasure that needs to...

Lutheran Hour Ministries
Donate
Share: Email Share: Twitter Share: Facebook
Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries
"God's Unparalleled Treasure"
April 30, 2021
2 Timothy 3:14-15 - But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

The Bible is an unparalleled treasure. But it's a treasure that needs to be shared. God's Word needs to be heard or read in order to accomplish what the Lord wishes. In today's busy world it's easy to forget the essentials, the basics. We have time to do many things, but often in our busyness the Bible gets left by the wayside.

Among those basics we would list the fact that salvation comes only through faith in the crucified and risen Redeemer, Jesus Christ. As the apostle Peter said in Acts 4:12, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other Name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

Another basic truth would be found in Ephesians 2:8 where we are told, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God." From start to finish, our salvation is entirely the work of God in our lives.

Here in Sri Lanka, we have a story about a young girl whose life has been changed by the Holy Spirit's use of the Word. She lives on a tea plantation, which was near to the city of Nuwara Eliya. She came from a strong Hindu religious background. Her family is poor, and they face many challenges in their day-to-day lives.

This girl first came to our attention when attending one of our holiday programs. Afterward, she enrolled in LHM's Bible Correspondence Course. As she went through the Bible lessons, things happened—a transformation began to happen in her life. In time she became a believer and was baptized at one of the local Lutheran congregations in this area. She now regularly attends Sunday worship and is very active in church activities.

This is how God Holy Spirit works through His Word, making a profound and lasting impact on people's lives. We are so grateful for God's work in the life of this young person.

We can't change anyone's life in an eternal way, but God's Word can—and does! God created this world by the power of His Word, and in the same way He uses it to bring forgiveness and salvation to sinful humanity. That was the reason why our Lord Jesus came into this world. Now with the Scriptures testifying about Him, the Holy Spirit uses us to share His message of love and forgiveness with others.

THE PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank You for bringing salvation to my life through Your living Word. Help me share this message with those who need to receive Your blessed forgiveness. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

Taken from the message, "Knowing God's Word," by S. Sathiyabalan, a fellow co-worker in LHM's Sri Lanka ministry center.

Reflection Questions:

1. Do you have a favorite Bible to read from? Why do you like it better than others?

2. Were you instructed with the Bible as a child? Do you use the Bible to teach your children?

3. How does God's Word shape us?

Today's Bible in a Year Reading: 1 Samuel 19; Psalms 23, 59; Luke 21:1-19
Print this Devotion
Subscribe to this Podcast
Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin! Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).
Change Their World. Change Yours.
This Changes Everything.
Facebook Twitter YouTube Vimeo LinkedIn Amazon Smile PayPal
Select your email subscriptions | Opt out of all LHM email communications using TrueRemove®
View this email online.
This email was sent to jonahs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.