[ag-news] AG NEWS #1806: April 23, 2010

AG-NEWS: Friday, April 23, 2010
Please send story leads to news@xxxxxx for consideration
**Soldiers hear God's Word via BibleSticks

AG churches helping to send BibleSticks to soldiers overseas.
Compact, battery-powered listening devices feature audio of New
Testament on them ? ideal for troops awaiting to be
transported. See http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com for more
information.

**Hosseini and Foth interviews posted on NPC Web site

Interviews with Phoenix First Assembly Minister of Prayer Saeed
Hosseini and Dr. Dick Foth who ministered in Washington, D.C.,
and currently at Timberline Church, Ft. Collins, Colorado, offer
insights into prayer ? and its effectiveness in today's world.
To listen to complete interviews, go to http://prayer.ag.org.

**Evangel offers new 5-year degree program

New 5-year degree program in counseling or clinical psychology
available at Evangel University starting fall 2010. High
performing students take accelerated classes and at end of
fifth year, receive master's degree in psychology. For more
information, visit http://www.evangel.edu.

**Correction: Speed the Light giving up, but not a record

In a story concerning Speed the Light giving that ran on April
21, 2010, in "AG News," it was reported that STL had a record
giving year in 2009. Although STL did see an increase in giving
for the first time in 9 years, it was not a record. The record
is actually $12.6 million given in 2000. We apologize for the
error and any misunderstanding it may have caused.

**SOLDIERS HEAR GOD'S WORD VIA BIBLESTICKS

Thanks to dozens of Assemblies of God churches, U.S. soldiers in
Iraq and Afghanistan are able to listen to the New Testament on
compact, battery-powered devices known as BibleSticks.

Slightly more than 3.5 inches long and less than an inch thick, they
are produced by a New Mexico-based ministry called Faith Comes By
Hearing (FCBH). The ministry's international director, Morgan
Jackson, is a member of First AG of Bosque Farms, New Mexico.

"They especially come in handy when a soldier is sitting on a
helicopter landing zone, waiting for transportation to his
designation," says Capt. Kevin Mucher, an AG chaplain at Fort Drum,
New York, who recently returned from Afghanistan. "One soldier
stated that he couldn't get a particular story out of his head [and]
found himself thinking about it all day."

By the end of 2009, nearly 100 AG churches had committed to
financially support sending the audio devices to troops. One of
those congregations, Grace AG in Bel Air, Maryland, took a special
offering in November that raised $4,500 for BibleSticks and
devotionals to be given to veterans.

This marked the second time the church had worked with FCBH. In 2007
it helped raise funds to provide listening devices and a partial
translation to an unreached people group in Ghana and Togo.

"Faith Comes By Hearing has been a tremendous group for us to work
with," says Grace's pastor, Paul Drost. "They gave us hundreds of
free MP3 New Testaments because we work with schoolchildren."

Though the BibleStick is an example of technological advances taking
audio Scriptures across the world, FCBH's leading tool is the
Proclaimer. The box-sized device can be powered by multiple sources
and is played for groups of anywhere from several dozen to 300.

"Most are used in Third World areas where you have a high poverty
rate and illiteracy," Jackson says. "Our focus is on forming
listening groups and discipleship. The minute people hear the Word
of God in their own language it overwhelms them."

For more information about Faith Comes By Hearing, see its Web site
at http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com.

--Ken Walker, Pentecostal Evangel

**HOSSEINI AND FOTH INVTERVIEWS POSTED ON NPC WEB SITE

Recently, the National Prayer Center posted two new "Interviews on
Prayer" on http://prayer.ag.org. The first is with Saeed Hosseini,
Minister of Prayer at Phoenix First Assembly of God.

In the interview with NPC director John Maempa, Hosseini reviews the
construction of the remarkable Prayer Pavilion of Light, a
state-of-the art prayer facility, open 24/7/365, on the church
campus. Hosseini also overviews the prayer ministries at Phoenix
First and shares some tremendous results being experienced.

"We have seen miracle after miracle take place," Hosseini states.
"In the last 2 1/2 years we have had over 400 people healed of
cancer, which are documented. We also have seen tremendous things
happen in the lives of people in their businesses and jobs."

Hosseini also relays his personal testimony of being born in Iran,
coming to the U.S. as a businessman and having a dynamic encounter
with Christ.

A turning point happened while attending a small Assembly of God
church in Illinois where his wife already had received Christ as
Savior. After attending several times but struggling with confusion
and uncertainty, Saeed recounts, "I said, 'Jesus, whoever you are, I
need to know that you are real.''' Then, a message in tongues came,
which Saeed heard in his native language. "What I heard was, 'Saeed,
you asked if I was real, well I am real.' I went to the altar and
said I want to meet this God, this Jesus."

Eventually, the Hosseinies sold their business and moved to Phoenix,
Arizona, where they began attending Phoenix First Assembly. Over
time, seeing his tremendous heart for prayer, Pastor Tommy Barnett
asked Saeed if he would lead the church's prayer ministries. "Now,
nine years later, we are just in awe and wonder at what God has
done," Saeed states.

Dr. Dick Foth, guest for the second interview, has served a number
of years as Minister-at-Large in Washington, D.C., and also serves
on the pastoral leadership team at Timberline Church, Ft. Collins,
Colorado.

In March, Foth was guest speaker during Spiritual Emphasis Week at
the Assemblies of God Headquarters in Springfield, Missouri. In the
interview, he shares insights regarding the unique challenges our
national leaders face and focuses on how to pray for those serving
in government.

Noting Paul's instruction that we pray for those in authority so
"that we may live peaceful and quiet lives" (1 Timothy 2:2), Foth
states, "When we pray for our leaders, they will make better
decisions which benefit us all."

As for what to pray about, Foth notes that, almost without
exception, government leaders request prayer first for their
families who often live under the enormous weight of public opinion,
criticism and media attention. Foth notes further that many leaders
on Capitol Hill and other government agencies consider time spent in
Bible study and prayer as an oasis in their schedules. "They respond
to authentic care that doesn't have an agenda," Foth adds.

Commenting on how prayer pertains to our relationship with God and
others, Foth states, "Prayer is our point of intimacy with God. It
also is about building relationship as opposed to getting stuff. And
when you pray for someone, it's the highest form of affirmation you
can give."

To listen to the full interviews with Saeed Hosseini and Dick Foth
and many others, click the "Interviews on Prayer" banner on the NPC
home page. Downloadable transcripts of the recent interviews will be
available soon.

--AG News

**EVANGEL OFFERS NEW 5-YEAR DEGREE PROGRAM

The Evangel University Board of Administration has recently approved
the implementation of a 5-year Bachelor of Science/Master of Science
degree program in counseling or clinical psychology, beginning fall
2010.

High performing students, with the consent of their academic
advisers, may begin taking an accelerated course of study during
their junior year that will allow them to complete their
undergraduate degree during the first semester of their senior year
and simultaneously begin graduate studies.

At the end of their fifth year of courses, students will have
completed a master¹s degree in psychology.

This opportunity will be ideal for students who have determined that
they wish to have a career as a licensed professional counselor or
pursue a doctoral psychology program, since it will allow them to
shorten the timeframe one would usually follow in obtaining the
master¹s degree.

The time savings will be achieved through taking classes during two
summer terms and taking dual-credit courses in their senior year of
study.

For more information about Evangel, see http://www.Evangel.edu.

--Jeff Fulks

   For a regularly updated list of upcoming significant Assemblies
   of God days and events--many linked to informational, registration
   or ordering pages--see the following address:
   <http://ag.org/top/events/index.cfm>.
  and public of current events within the Fellowship and
  continuing developments among its many ministries.

  If you have a news lead, contact us at news@xxxxxx

    Office of Public Relations
    General Council of the Assemblies of God
    1445 N. Boonville Avenue
    Springfield, MO 65802-1894
    USA

    Phone: (417) 862-2781