[ag-news] AG NEWS #1780: February 19, 2010

AG-NEWS: Friday, February 19, 2010
Please send story leads to news@xxxxxx for consideration
**Missionaries safe after coup in Niger

AG missionaries to African nation of Niger safe after military
coup takes place Thursday. Missionary Brent Teague reports
that things are currently calm in the capital city of Niamey.

**AG giving for Haiti relief and recovery reaches $7.5 million

So far, Assemblies of God churches, ministries and individuals
have contributed $7.5 million for Haiti relief and recovery. AG
World Mission, Convoy of Hope and partner ministries have
distributed 3.5 million meals as well as provided multiple
water purification options. Additional 47 containers (nearly
two million pounds) of food and supplies headed to Haiti.

**Former district superintendent Gordon Matheny passes

Gordon H. Matheny, former superintendent of Assemblies of God
Peninsular Florida District (1990-93), passed away Wednesday
morning. He was 87. His memorial service will be at Bethel
Temple Assembly of God in Tampa, Sunday, February 21. Interment
will be Monday at Garden of Memories, Tampa.

**MISSIONARIES SAFE AFTER COUP IN NIGER

After a successful but controversial military coup of Niger took
place Thursday, Assemblies of God missionaries to the African
country of Niger have all been reported safe, according to AG World
Missions.

Many believe the coup or some type of action has been coming since
Niger President Mamadou Tandja chose to "rule by decree," extending
his own presidency to a third term and dissolving the country's
parliament last June.

A day after the coup, reports are that the capital city of Niamey is
running as normal, only with tanks and other forms of military
presence scattered about the city.

"We praise the Lord that all is calm today in Niamey," says AG
missionary to Niger, Brent Teague. "The stores are open and there is
light traffic on the streets. We have no reports of any of our
brothers or sisters in Christ having  been injured in the fighting.
We are thankful for God's hand of protection.  We had a curfew last
night and will wait to see if it is declared again for tonight."

"This is simply another example of why it is vital to keep our
missionaries covered in daily prayer," says John Bueno, AG World
Missions executive director. "We never know what our missionaries
are going to face in the next hour ? but God does!"

--AG News

**AG GIVING FOR HAITI RELIEF AND RECOVERY REACHES $7.5 MILLION

In a united act of compassion, Assemblies of God churches,
ministries and individuals have already contributed $7.5 million for
Haiti relief and recovery.

"Once again, we've witnessed the generosity of Assemblies of God
people," said George O. Wood, general superintendent of the
Assemblies of God. "We are committed to maximizing every dollar to
meet as many physical and spiritual needs as possible."

To date, AG World Missions, Convoy of Hope and partner ministries
have provided 3.5 million meals and have begun distributing 40,000
hygiene kits. An additional 2,000 water purification units are being
installed, along with 3 larger units that produce 15,000 gallons of
pure drinking water each day. An additional 47 containers of food
and supplies (nearly 2 million pounds) are in the delivery pipeline.

Long-range plans include repairing and rebuilding churches and
schools, launching agricultural development initiatives and
increasing the number of children fed each day in Christian schools
and orphanages.

John Bueno, executive director of World Missions said, "As in so
many other urgent crises to which we have responded, the churches of
our Fellowship have responded quickly and with incredible
generosity, enabling AG World Missions and Convoy of Hope to
minister effectively to those who have suffered so much in Haiti.
This generous response has given us the capacity not only to offer
relief, but also advance the kingdom of our Lord."

To view the latest AG video update from Haiti, go to AGTV at
http://agtv.ag.org/agwm-haiti-update.

--Randy Hurst

**FORMER DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT GORDON MATHENY PASSES

Gordon H. Matheny, the former superintendent of the Peninsular
Florida District (1990-93), passed away Wednesday morning. He was
87.

Through his more than 60 years of ministry, Matheny, a graduate of
Central Bible Institute (now Central Bible College) in Springfield,
Missouri, served as an evangelist, pastor and district official in
two states. He was also active in missions work in more than 25
countries.

He began his ministry in Indiana where he pastored four churches and
then was elected district secretary ? a post he had for 10 years.
He then moved to Tampa, Florida, where he was pastor of Bethel
Temple (Tampa) for 19 years. He served as assistant district
superintendent for Peninsular Florida from 1973-88. He retired in
1990, only to be elected superintendent of that district from
1990-93.

Matheny is preceded in death by his first wife, Marie (Davis), and
his eldest son, Joe. He is survived by his wife of 19 years,
Florence (Miller); three children: Dave of Williston, Florida; Tim
of Wesley Chapel, Florida; and Donita Mooneyham of Jacksonville,
Florida; and a stepson, Mac Miller of Atlanta, Georgia.

His memorial service will be at Bethel Temple Assembly of God in
Tampa (1510 W. Hillsborough Avenue) Sunday, February 21, at 6 p.m.
Interment will be 11 a.m. Monday at Garden of Memories (4207 East
Lake Avenue) in Tampa.

--AG News

   For a regularly updated list of upcoming significant Assemblies
   of God days and events--many linked to informational, registration
   or ordering pages--see the following address:
   <http://ag.org/top/events/index.cfm>.
  and public of current events within the Fellowship and
  continuing developments among its many ministries.

  If you have a news lead, contact us at news@xxxxxx

    Office of Public Relations
    General Council of the Assemblies of God
    1445 N. Boonville Avenue
    Springfield, MO 65802-1894
    USA

    Phone: (417) 862-2781