[ag-news] AG NEWS #1784: March 1, 2010

AG-NEWS: Monday, March 01, 2010
Please send story leads to news@xxxxxx for consideration

**Earthquake rocks Chile -- missionaries safe, assessment teams
headed out

After 8.8 magnitude earthquake strikes Chile on Saturday, AG
missionaries reported safe and assessment teams from AG World
Missions and Convoy of Hope headed towards region. Account set
up for those who want to contribute to the relief effort (see
article for details). Prayer guide from National Prayer Center
also available as free download -- see http://prayer.ag.org for
link.

**Fine Arts winner makes it to Hollywood

Luke Edgemon, first place winner of Male Vocal Solo category at
AG National FAF in 2006, auditioned for American Idol this
year, making it to Hollywood rounds. Edgemon says his Fine Arts
experience played a part in every aspect of his American Idol
journey. States: "Making music is my calling [from God], and I
cannot ever allow myself to forget that."

**This week in AG history -- March 1, 1930

Featured in this week's March 1, 1930, edition of "Pentecostal
Evangel" are articles by John Wright Follette, Stanley H.
Frodsham, Ivan S. Spencer, Fannie F. Rowe, and others!

AG Marriage Encounter opens brand new locale

Greg and D'awn (Elder) Ledgerwood, Sidney, Montana, are hosting
an AG Marriage Encounter weekend in Dickinson, North Dakota,
March 19-21. Mark and Becky Rhoades, national admin couple for
AGME, confirm that space is limited. "Initial plans for the new
locale were made when Greg and D'awn drove the 1,187 miles from
Sidney to Springfield, Missouri, to experience a fall weekend.
The final details were just now worked out," says Mark Rhoades.

To register go to http://www.agme.org or call 800.366.2104

**EARTHQUAKE ROCKS CHILE -- MISSIONARIES SAFE, ASSESSMENT
TEAMS HEADED OUT

In the early morning hours of Saturday, February 27, an 8.8
magnitude earthquake struck central Chile. According to the U.S.
Geological Survey (USGS), the earthquake epicenter was located
offshore, about 70 miles northeast of Concepción, Chile's second
largest metropolitan area, and about 200 miles southwest of Chile's
capital, Santiago.

Assemblies of God World Missions has already contacted its
missionaries in Chile, and all are reported safe. However, the death
toll is climbing with the latest reports now exceeding 700 dead.
Nearly half of those reported dead at this point are said to be from
the city of Constitución, which was struck by a tsunami about 30
minutes after the earthquake hit. So far, according to the USGS Web
site, more than 150 aftershocks have been recorded ? some reaching
above 6.0 on the Richter scale.

Currently, AG World Missions and Convoy of Hope personnel are on
their way to Chile to assess the need. According to Kary Kingsland,
vice president of Disaster Response for Convoy, the teams are taking
10 water systems with them ? systems that can provide more than
19,000 gallons of clean drinking water a day.

"We have set up an account for those who would like to contribute,"
says Randy Hurst, AG World Missions Communications director. "Once
the teams are able to fully evaluate the need, we'll know much more
how to effectively respond." Donations can be sent to: AGWM/COH
Disaster Relief 410946-8 (68), 1445 N. Boonville Avenue,
Springfield, MO 65802-1894.

Although the Chilean earthquake was significantly more powerful than
that of the 7.0 earthquake that struck Haiti earlier this year, at
first report, far fewer lives have been lost (about 215,000 died in
Haiti). Reasons for this include the epicenter for the quake in
Chile being located offshore and more than 21 miles below the
surface of the earth, while Haiti's earthquake originated inland
about 8 miles below the surface. In addition, many suspect Chile's
stricter building codes also played a significant part.

Yet, despite the depth of the quake, Chile's mid-section of coastal
cities are reeling. Severed highway arteries, collapsed buildings
and bridges, and lack of power and water in a number of hard-hit
areas have been reported. Looting is also taking place, while many
people are sleeping outside their homes or in vehicles, unwilling to
sleep inside buildings as aftershocks continue to rock the area.

To assist churches and individuals in reaching out in prayer to
those affected by the earthquake, the National Prayer Center has
created a free, downloadable prayer guide, featuring multiple points
of prayer. To get the prayer guide, go to http://prayer.ag.org and
under "Alerts & Updates" click on the "Urgent: Prayer for Chile"
line.

"We still have a massive relief effort going on in Haiti," Hurst
says, "but without even stepping a foot into Central Chile, it is
clear that the hundreds of thousands affected by this earthquake
desperately need our prayers ? and will also need our help as we
learn more about the extent of the damage, and especially how our AG
brothers and sisters have been affected."

--AG News

**FINE ARTS WINNER MAKES IT TO HOLLYWOOD

"American Idol" premiered its Hollywood Week on Tuesday, February 9,
2010, showcasing 181 contestants that survived the initial auditions
and were back to prove themselves deserving of a spot on the hit
television show.

North Carolina singer Luke Edgemon was one of those contestants sent
to Hollywood after his Orlando audition.

"When I first realized that I'd made it to Hollywood, I felt like I
was imagining it," Edgemon says. "Standing in front of the Idol
judges and Kristen Chenoweth was surreal enough already."

Edgemon, who won first place in the Male Vocal Solo category at the
Assemblies of God National Fine Arts Festival in 2006, says making
it to Hollywood felt much like the first time he made it to second
and third rounds in Nationals. "Something I had been trying to
achieve for so many years had finally been attained ? I couldn't
have been happier," he says.

"Being a part of National Fine Arts played a part in almost every
aspect of my journey on American Idol," Edgemon says. According to
Edgemon, little things throughout the competition reminded him of
Fine Arts, such as the constant adjudication and calls to the stage.

Although sent home during American Idol's Hollywood week, he learned
some valuable lessons from his Fine Arts experiences that prepared
him for this situation.

"Rejection is also something that FAF taught me to deal with," he
says. "While most people don't like to associate a negative word
like that with the amazing things that come from Fine Arts, it is
unfortunately an emotion most of us who participate have to deal
with and overcome."

"I am thankful to have learned, at a young age, that no matter what
dismissal we face, we are still destined by God to walk in our
calling. I focused on this particular bit of knowledge when I was
released from the American Idol competition during Hollywood Week
this year, and I have the 6 years I participated in National Fine
Arts Festival to thank," Edgemon says.

Edgemon learned another lesson while preparing for his auditions
that may come as a surprise to some ? he gave up soft drinks and
coffee, which could harm his voice. "I had a meeting with a local
speech pathologist before going to Los Angeles, and she taught me
that caffeine is extremely harmful to the vocal chords, as it dries
them out significantly, and doesn't allow them to work to their
fullest potential," he says.

Since his release from American Idol in January, Edgemon has secured
a few singing opportunities: singing in churches throughout the
United States, performing the national anthem at sporting events,
and judging the district level of the Fine Arts Festival competition
in a number of states.  He has also started recording a few covers
for fun.

During his journey through Fine Arts, Edgemon attended Glad Tidings
Church (AG) in Dunn, North Carolina. He does not attend the church
anymore, however, sees himself as a member of quite a few AG
churches throughout the country while he travels. "I travel as much
as I can, ministering through songs that Jesus has blessed me with,"
Edgemon says.

As for season 10 auditions, Edgemon says he would definitely try out
for American Idol again. "The entire process is insanely fun and
interesting. From the travel, to the constant immersion in song, to
meeting the most amazing people; the experience is like no other,"
he says.

"Right now, I am hoping that God brings me to something much bigger
than American Idol in 2010. However, I walk through every door that
I feel He holds the key to; and if nothing significant has taken my
journey one step closer to the tremendous calling He has ordained
for my life, then you can definitely expect to see me in those long
lines again this fall."

Wherever Edgemon is singing, he is sure that his faith plays a part
in his music. "My faith holds an esteemed role in my music. Before I
sing a note, or even take a breath, I challenge myself to remember
where my giftings and talents came from," he says. "Making music is
my calling, and I cannot ever allow myself to forget that."

To hear some of Edgemon's music, visit his Myspace page at
http://myspace.com/LukeEdgemon.

--Becca Hodge

**THIS WEEK IN AG HISTORY -- MARCH 1, 1930

Gifted Bible teacher John Wright Follette, in his article, "Have You
Patience?" in the March 1, 1930, issue of the "Pentecostal Evangel,"
writes that the Christian must learn to be patient toward all men,
toward God and toward himself. This necessary virtue, Follette
states, is developed through suffering.

Also featured in this issue:

* "How to Live a Victorious Life," by Stanley H. Frodsham

* "Avoiding Argument and Winning Out," by Ivan S. Spencer

* "How to Prosper and be in Health," by Fannie F. Rowe

And much more! Click here to read this issue now:
http://s2.ag.org/mar11930

"Pentecostal Evangel" archived editions courtesy of Flower
Pentecostal Heritage Center (http://iFPHC.org). For current editions
of the "Evangel", click here: http://pe.ag.org.

   For a regularly updated list of upcoming significant Assemblies
   of God days and events--many linked to informational, registration
   or ordering pages--see the following address:
   <http://ag.org/top/events/index.cfm>.
  and public of current events within the Fellowship and
  continuing developments among its many ministries.

  If you have a news lead, contact us at news@xxxxxx

    Office of Public Relations
    General Council of the Assemblies of God
    1445 N. Boonville Avenue
    Springfield, MO 65802-1894
    USA

    Phone: (417) 862-2781