[ag-news] AG NEWS #1785: March 3, 2010

AG-NEWS: Wednesday, March 03, 2010
Please send story leads to news@xxxxxx for consideration
**Haiti relief efforts continue, expand

Ongoing relief effort by AG World Missions and Convoy of
Hope and partners in Haiti results in 6.5 million
meals being distributed and 345 water filtration units
installed so far. AG World Relief Committee
establishes 3-year plan that involves extensive relief,
recovery and rebuilding in Haiti. To give to relief
effort, see http://ag.org/top/haiti.cfm.

**"Heart & Soul" prayer initiative to launch May 2

National Prayer Center partnering with Awakening America
Alliance to launch 20-week prayer initiative on May 2 built
around 20 indicators of spiritual awakening. Themed "Praying
through the Heart of the Year for the Soul of Our Nation."
Variety of free, downloadable resources for prayer campaign
available at http://www.prayer.ag.org.

**VFCC honored by Arbor Day Foundation

Arbor Day Foundation honors Valley Forge Christian College
(AG), Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, as a 2009 Tree Campus USA
College ? first college in state of Pennsylvania to receive
this recognition. More information about VFCC found at
http://www.vfcc.edu.

AG Marriage Encounter opens brand new locale

Greg and D'awn (Elder) Ledgerwood, Sidney, Montana, are hosting
an AG Marriage Encounter weekend in Dickinson, North Dakota,
March 19-21. Mark and Becky Rhoades, national admin couple for
AGME, confirm that space is limited. "Initial plans for the new
locale were made when Greg and D'awn drove the 1,187 miles from
Sidney to Springfield, Missouri, to experience a fall weekend.
The final details were just now worked out," says Mark Rhoades.

To register go to http://www.agme.org or call 800.366.2104

**HAITI RELIEF EFFORTS CONTINUE, EXPAND

Assemblies of God World Missions, working in support of Convoy of
Hope and its distribution partners, have now been a part of
distributing more than 6.5 million meals and installing 345 water
filtration units in Haiti since the 7.0 earthquake rocked the nation
on January 12.

"Our meal distributions have not slowed because the need has not
diminished," says Kary Kingsland, vice president of disaster
response for Convoy of Hope. Over the next few months, Kingsland
says that Convoy plans to install 4,000 additional water filtration
units by training Haitians in how to operate and install the units.

"We have AGWM Communications personnel in Haiti right now with Hal
Donaldson and Convoy of Hope," says Randy Hurst, AGWM Communications
director. "They are gathering information and photos for an
extensive report for churches, pastors and individuals who have
contributed to the relief efforts."

Hurst explains that the AG World Relief Committee gathered just a
few days ago to map out a 3-year strategic plan that involves
extensive relief, recovery and rebuilding in Haiti.

"We have been able to map out these type of plans because of the
extremely generous response we have received," Hurst says,
expressing AGWM's gratitude for the ongoing giving. "In fact, we
believe our response will be similar to the response to Indonesia
following the tsunami that devastated the coastal regions of
Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and India in December of 2004."

Hurst says AG World Missions was involved in numerous rebuilding
efforts in Indonesia and Sri Lanka. "In addition to feeding the
hungry and providing medical relief, we were able to completely
rebuild 67 public school buildings," he says. "Our efforts,
supported by the generosity and sacrifice of churches, individuals
and teams, demonstrated the compassion of Christ in tangible ways to
many tens of thousands of people. We hope to make as great an impact
in Haiti."

Currently, AG World Missions and Convoy of Hope are forced to have a
dual focus as the earthquake that struck Chile this past weekend is
of great concern. "But churches haven't forgotten about Haiti,"
Hurst says. "Just yesterday I received another generous donation
from a church for our relief efforts there."

For more information about Convoy of Hope, see its Web site at
http://Convoyofhope.org. To give to the ongoing disaster relief
effort in Haiti, see http://ag.org/top/haiti.cfm.

--AG News

**"HEART & SOUL" PRAYER INITIATIVE TO LAUNCH MAY 2

challenges affecting both the culture and the Church, the National
Prayer Center is launching a 20-week prayer initiative on Sunday,
May 2. The initiative is built around 20 indicators of spiritual
awakening drafted by the Awakening America Alliance with which the
Assemblies of God partners (see http://awakeningamerica.us). The
special initiative will conclude the week beginning Sunday,
September 12.

"The beginning and ending dates of this prayer emphasis are
significant," states John Maempa, director of the NPC. "May 2 is the
Sunday prior to the National Day of Prayer; September 12 immediately
follows the Cry Out America courthouse prayer gatherings and
commemorations of the tragic events on 9/11/2001. Since this 20-week
period falls in the middle of the year, the prayer campaign is
themed 'Praying through the Heart of the Year for the Soul of Our
Nation.'"

A variety of free, downloadable resources for this prayer campaign
are available online at http://www.prayer.ag.org, including:

* Four-page flier that lists all 20 indicators of spiritual awakening

* Prayer guides for each indicator that also incorporate the "7x7"
prayer points for centers of power recommended by National Day of
Prayer (see http://agwebservices.org/Content/RSSResources/
Heart&Soul%20Prayer%20Gds.pdf)

* Fasting guidelines

* Implementation guidelines

* Theme poster

* PowerPoint files for the indicators and prayer guides

"Praying for a Christ Awakening," published under the auspices of
the Alliance, is available for order (http://gospelpublishing.com
or 1-800-641-4310). This book, Maempa explains, addresses
each of the indicators of awakening. It also includes extracts from
authors such as Henry Blackaby and Claude King, Beth Moore, Jack
Hayford and many others as well as Scripture selections and prayer
points. This resource can be used as a discussion tool for
discipleship and prayer groups.

"Our hope is that many prayer groups will form around this prayer
initiative," states Maempa. "We also trust that pastors and prayer
coordinators will encourage the general congregation to get involved
by utilizing the various resources that are provided." Fasting
guidelines also are available on the NPC Web site to encourage this
powerful means of seeking God's help.

"The challenges we face morally and spiritually are huge," Maempa
states. "Yet an awakening in our nation can happen only as God's
people first align their lives with God's Word and will according to
2 Chronicles 7:14 and be the voice and example of good and
righteousness in the culture. When that happens, conditions will be
right for an unprecedented move of God across our nation bringing
many into the kingdom of God."

--AG News

**VFCC HONORED BY ARBOR DAY FOUNDATION

The Arbor Day Foundation recently honored Valley Forge Christian
College (AG), Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, as a 2009 Tree Campus USA
College for its dedication to campus forestry management and
environmental stewardship.

Valley Forge Christian College (VFCC) is the first college or
university in Pennsylvania to be named a Tree Campus USA University.

"The Tree Campus USA program will have a long-lasting impact at
Valley Forge Christian College as it engages college students and
local citizens to plant trees and create healthier communities for
people to enjoy for decades to come," said John Rosenow, chief
executive of the Arbor Day Foundation.

Tree Campus USA, a national program launched in 2008 by the Arbor
Day Foundation, honors college and universities and the leaders of
the campus and surrounding communities for promoting healthy urban
forest management and engaging the campus community in environmental
stewardship.

"Valley Forge Christian College is honored to be recognized by the
Arbor Day Foundation as a 2009 Tree Campus USA College," said Dr.
Don Meyer, president of VFCC. "The campus entrance is enhanced by a
remarkable double row of mature oak trees . . . [we intend] to
extend the majesty of the entrance by creating a beautiful arboretum
throughout the property for campus constituents and visitors."