[ag-news] AG NEWS #1802: April 14, 2010

AG-NEWS: Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Please send story leads to news@xxxxxx for consideration
**AG churches hold unique outreaches for Easter

Several AG churches changed the way they did their Easter
outreaches this year, including First AG, Kenosha, Wisconsin,
to appeal to the community on a more personal level. Another
church, Immanuel AG, Middleburg Heights, Ohio, continued their
unique tradition of an Easter Drive Through for their
community.

**Ralph Riggs Scholarships awarded

Samantha Clemo, Sykesville, Maryland, and Adam Yaros,
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, named 2010 recipients of General
Superintendent¹s Scholarship, worth $30,000. Scholarships part
of Ralph Riggs Scholarship program, funded by AGTrust and
administered by the Assemblies of God Alliance for Higher
Education. Ten other high school seniors awarded Ralph Riggs
Scholarships worth $5,000 each. More information at
http://www.agtrust.org.

"It would take a miracle to save our marriage . . . "

Then come and experience YOUR miracle! MarriageRestored has
seen countless marriages on the verge of divorce turned around
and transformed. Turn bitter hopelessness into a bright new day
? contact MarriageRestored now!

See http://www.marriagerestored.com or view the video at
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-qfcbVsHHmU

Upcoming events: April 16-18 ? Sacramento, California. April
23-25 ? Dallas, Texas. April 30-May 2 ? Lexington, Kentucky.
May 21-23 ? Lake Oswego, Oregon. June 11-13 ? Rockford,
Illinois.

"ONCOURSE" Is Delirious? With Compassion ? and More

The Spring/Summer 2010 "ONCOURSE" (available April 20) is packed
with inspirational artists like TobyMac, Britt Nicole,
Delirious? and Leeland. Students can prep for summer camp, get
tips on overcoming victim syndrome from shark attack survivor
Bethany Hamilton, and tackle the tough issues of relationships
and sexuality.

Youth leaders and campus missionaries can sign up on the OC
mailing list at http://oncourse.ag.org/oc/order.cfm. Single
copies (including back issues) are available for home delivery
at http://gospelpublishing.com.

** AG CHURCHES HOLD UNIQUE OUTREACHES FOR EASTER

Several AG churches took a different approach to the Easter holiday
this year, by impacting their community through a unique outreach,
whether it be a brand new tradition or a long-standing one.

Kenosha (Wisconsin) First Assembly of God typically holds an annual
Easter egg hunt on the church grounds, drawing a crowd of 2,000
every year. But this April, it was redesigned to fit a more
missional model of ministry.

Instead of a large crowd on the church property, the church decided
to do something different ? to appeal to the community on a more
personal level. They assembled 75 of their own Backyard Easter Egg
Scramble kits and distributed them to families in the church.

Each kit had everything needed for a backyard egg hunt, providing a
tool for church families to invite neighbors, coworkers and friends
to their home for an egg hunt for the children and a time of
fellowship for the adults.

"A typical large egg hunt draws a crowd, but personal relationship
building is very limited? the purpose this year was to be more
missional and help families build relationships in their
neighborhood," says Bob Griffith, Children and Family Ministries
Pastor.

"Some families presented the gospel, other families just talked
sports, while other families used the hunt as an opportunity to
invite people to church on Easter Sunday. It was flexible, easy to
do and the best part was that it mobilized the congregation to
connect with their community," he says.

According to Griffith, the reports back from the families have all
been very positive. "One family said that their neighbors were
stunned that they were doing this. They could not understand why a
neighbor would go to all this work for them."

One man held the Easter Egg Hunt inside his home, since it was
raining on the date he picked, which also surprised several guests.
"All the people that would normally not come to the egg hunt at the
church were more comfortable in a home setting, and could still
receive the gospel message," Griffith said.

More than 1,000 people participated in the backyard egg hunts held
by members of the congregation. "I would trade this approach in a
heartbeat that allows people to personally connect and establish new
relationships.  These new relationships will open the door for
people to lead their community to the Lord," Griffith said.

At Immanuel Assembly of God in Middleburg Heights, Ohio, they have
established a different approach to an Easter outreach ? the
community is invited to an Easter Drive Through.

Each year for the past 10 years, the church has put together a drama
depicting nine scenes from the life of Christ that can be viewed
from the comfort of a car, according to Pastor Mike Wengerd.

The church's Easter Drive Through is a unique concept for the
Middleburg Heights area and is tremendously well received in the
Ohio region, Wengerd says.

"We use 110 actors in addition to make-up, traffic, set-up and
technical people," Wengerd says. "We had 69 cars in line at one
time, in addition to the 18 in the drive through. Altogether we had
about 1,000 people come through this year." Even though the last
night was rained out, the church still saw record attendance
through the Easter outreach.

--Becca Hodge

**Ralph Riggs Scholarships awarded

Samantha Clemo of Sykesville, Maryland, and Adam Yaros of
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, have been named the 2010 recipients of
the General Superintendent¹s Scholarship, worth $30,000.

The scholarships are part of the Ralph Riggs Scholarship program,
funded by AGTrust and administered by the Assemblies of God Alliance
for Higher Education. Ten other high school seniors are being
awarded Ralph Riggs Scholarships worth $5,000 each.

Ralph Riggs scholarships are disbursed over a four-year period, and
only to students entering an Assemblies of God college or
university.

³What a blessing! I am so excited,² Yaros says. ³It doesn¹t get any
better. I plan to apply every penny of it in ways that glorify God.²

Coincidentally, both Clemo and Yaros have chosen to attend Valley
Forge Christian College, in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania. Clemo plans
to major in youth ministry, and Yaros in theological studies.

For Clemo, being awarded the General Superintendent¹s Scholarship
was the deciding factor in choosing Valley Forge, not to mention an
answer to prayer.

³I had a full ride scholarship to [a nondenominational school],²
Clemo says. ³However I felt the Spirit leading me to look at an AG
school, but it was just going to be too difficult financially. This
[scholarship] was confirmation.²

Scholarships are awarded based on outstanding academic merit,
exemplary community and church service, Christian life and personal