[ag-news] AG NEWS #1801: Tuesday, April 13, 2010

AG-NEWS: Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Please send story leads to news@xxxxxx for consideration
**HCM responds to Haiti disaster through medical evangelism

Report on AG World Missions HealthCare Ministries response to
need in Haiti. Tells of binding physical, spiritual and
emotional wounds many people are bearing. More than 200 accept
Christ as Savior. Also shares of miracles that took place. See
HCM's Web site to learn more about the ministry and track any
upcoming medical trips.

**American Indian College experiences growth

In spite of economy, American Indian College (AG), Phoenix,
Arizona, drawing steady stream of new enrollees. Joan Kruger,
administrative assistant to President David DeGarmo, says
economic downtown has caused some students to look for
inexpensive alternatives (such as AIC) to larger universities.
AIC enrollment increased by more than 50 percent between
2005 and spring 2009. For more information on American
Indian College, visit http://aicag.edu.

**This week in AG history -- April 12, 1959

Featured in this week's April 12, 1959, issue of the
"Pentecostal Evangel" are articles by Ernest S. Williams, Ralph
M. Riggs, Elva Johnson, and more! Click here to read this
issue now: http://s2.ag.org/apr121959

Grueling marathon or refreshing motivator?

For too many couples, marriage can become a bad marathon
experience ? where couples pound out the days in repetitive
boredom as they push themselves to reach some far off finish
line. But that's not the kind of relationship God intended. Let
Marriage Encounter help transform your marriage into a lifelong
experience you'll look forward to every day! Sign up today at
http://agme.org.

Upcoming events: April 23-25 ? Denver, Colorado; Spokane,
Washington. April 30-May 2 ? Ontario, California; Kansas City,
Missouri; Lake Oswego, Oregon. May 14-16 ? Sacramento,
California; Peoria, Illinois. May 21-23 ? Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
June 11-13 ? Dallas, Texas. June 25-27 ? Houston, Texas.

Need a Mother's Day gift for the women in your congregation?

"Our Moms: Biblical Insights for Mothers and Grandmothers"
magazine includes advice for working moms, mothers-in-law and
parenting special needs children, plus an interview with Dr.
James Dobson?and more! Thirty-six pages; $1 each. Preview the
magazine at: http://s2.ag.org/moms. Call 800.641.4310; Item
#735417.

**HCM RESPONDS TO HAITI DISASTER THROUGH MEDICAL EVANGELISM

As the international medical outreach of Assemblies of God World
Missions, HealthCare Ministries stands ready to respond to any
disaster, be it natural or manmade. So when the 7.0 earthquake
rocked the small nation of Haiti on January 12, 2010, there was no
doubt that HCM would respond with medical relief. But as it became
evident the enormity of the disaster, getting teams safely in became
a difficulty. But HCM¹s disaster response coordinator, Rick
Salvato, PA, was able to get into the country within a few days of
the quake with Convoy of Hope to assess the situation and make a
plan. After strategizing with AG¹s Haiti missionaries on the field
and the Haitian national church, Rick returned home with a response
plan for HCM that has rarely happened before?multiple response teams
back to back at several locations.

HCM¹s staff began sifting through the numerous responses from the
medical professional community wanting to lend their expertise in
Haiti. What resulted were four teams ranging from 10 -13 people a
piece, each with their own healthcare background. The team members
expertise ranged from medical doctors, nurses, EMTs, physical
therapists, counselors, psychologists and optometrists.  The month
of March was set aside to focus efforts on Haiti with a new team
each week.

March started with Team A going into Port au Prince and ministering
in a different location each day that first week. Team B arrived as
A left and set up clinic each day in other locations. Team C¹s plan
was to follow up the locations that Team A worked in, and Team D
would do the same for the locations where Team B ministered. The
mobile clinics were set up in churches and areas around the capital
city at the missionary¹s discretion as to the neediest areas.

HCM¹s teams saw several symptoms that were stress related, such as
gastrointestinal problems, sleeplessness or headaches, as well as
following up with injuries sustained from the earthquake.

HCM¹s director, Deborah M. Highfill, PhD, RN, led Team C, and said
that caring for the emotional needs was just as important. ³Not
only did we bind their physical wounds but their emotional and
spiritual wounds as well,² Highfill said.

Salvato said that the people were very open to the gospel after
going through such a traumatic experience. They realized they
needed to get their lives right with God. Team members and church
leaders made sure to follow up with each patient who prayed the
sinner¹s prayer and ensure they got plugged into the local church.
They wanted the community to know the church was there to care for
their needs, whether physical, emotional, or spiritual.

HCM¹s team witnessed a few miraculous experiences while ministering
to the Haitian people. In one instance with Team B, an elderly man
came in who was blinded by severe cataracts in his eyes. By all
accounts, a pair of glasses would not have helped him see better
since the cataracts clouded his vision. HCM¹s missionary, Mike
O¹Brien, was dispensing glasses and knew that nothing could be done
to help this man except prayer. After spending time praying for the
gentleman, Mike felt impressed to at least try a pair of glasses
with a high prescription. To the amazement of Mike and the other
team members, this man was able to see clearly!

Another miracle took place when a lady came in a wheelchair, bent
over and unable to walk due to severe back and leg pain from an
injury sustained during the earthquake. Tara Tacker, a physical
therapist from Arkansas, examined her and realized her injuries were
beyond her help. Tara prayed with the woman, who afterwards she
said that she wanted to try walking. Miraculously she stood and
began to walk without pain! She left that day without aid of the
wheel chair.

Throughout the four weeks of ministering in and around Port au
Prince, HCM¹s teams treated approximately 5,477 people, and over 230
prayed to receive Jesus as their personal savior. Highfill
recognizes the clinics would not have been possible were it not for
the many health care professionals who sacrificed their time to join
the teams at a moment¹s notice.

Salvato said that the missionaries and Haitian AG leaders hope to
see a great revival rise up in Haiti through this disaster and to no
longer be known as the voodoo island but a Christian nation. He
said the national church wants to take this as an opportunity to
minister to the people who have realized they need to be right with
God.

While no plans have been officially made, HCM is likely to return to
Haiti in the coming months. For now, the missionaries are focusing
on rebuilding churches and cultivating the growing church family.
Salvato said it¹s going to be a long recovery, but their outlook is
optimistic.

For more information on AGWM HealthCare Ministries, see its Web
site at http://healthcareministries.org.

--Carrie Stewart

**American Indian College experiences growth

In spite of a sluggish economy, American Indian College in Phoenix
is drawing a steady stream of new enrollees.

Joan Kruger, administrative assistant to President David DeGarmo,
says the economic downturn has caused some high school graduates to
look for inexpensive alternatives to larger universities.

"The cost of our college is below that of most programs," Kruger
says. "That's a big draw for students looking to save money."

AIC enrollment increased by more than 50 percent between 2005 and
spring 2009, Kruger says. Although fall enrollment dipped, the 80
full-time students in attendance still exceeded the previous year's
figures, she says.

In addition to two- and four-year Christian ministry degrees, the
accredited college offers a bachelor of arts degree in elementary
education and an associate degree in business administration.

"We're a small school, but we have a lovely campus and a wonderful
staff," Kruger says. "We really have a lot to offer."

About half the students are Native American. Blacks, whites,
Hispanics and Marshallese round out the diverse student body.

Many of the Native American graduates work on reservations as
ministers, missionaries and teachers, Kruger says.

"More than 70 percent turn in that direction," Kruger says. "They're
doing some wonderful things, and we're thrilled about that. Others
integrate into regular society and make an impact there."

James Bollinger, a 2006 AIC graduate, serves as senior pastor at
Native Assembly, a growing AG church plant in Omaha, Nebraska. He
enrolled in AIC just one year after making a commitment to Christ.

"That's where my theology, doctrine and spiritual guidance came from
? the faculty and staff who poured into my life," Bollinger says.
"I'm excited to hear that the college is growing. It does my heart
good to see the college continuing on with the mission that was
given to it."

Marvin Begay, who graduated from AIC in 1994, says he has referred a
number of young people to the college over the years.

"It's a great college," says Begay, who serves on the AIC board.
"I'm always speaking well of it."

Begay, a member of the Navajo tribe, is senior pastor at Canyon Day
Assembly of God on the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation in
White River, Arizona. The congregation has an attendance of
approximately 200. Begay is one of four Arizona District Assemblies
of God presbyters who are AIC graduates.

Begay's wife, Delia, a 1996 AIC alumna, works as a schoolteacher on
the reservation.

"This is where our heart is," Begay says. "We believe God has called
us to the Native American people. AIC helped prepare us for this
ministry."

"My prayer is that AIC, as a training center for leaders, will be a
center of renewal," DeGarmo said. "The first 'splash' of a fresh
outpouring of the Spirit must strike the ground somewhere. My desire
is that it will be on the campus of American Indian College."

For more information on American Indian College, visit
http://aicag.edu.

--Christina Quick, Pentecostal Evangel

**THIS WEEK IN AG HISTORY -- APRIL 12, 1959

What is holiness? Why is holiness essential to the life of a young
person? What if others do not measure up to our personal standard of
holiness? How is holiness attained? Is it possible to be saved and
not be holy? Former General Superintendent Ernest S. Williams
(1929-1949) responded to these and other questions from Chi Alpha
members at Southwest Missouri State College (now Missouri State
University) in 1959. The April 12, 1959, issue of the ³Pentecostal
Evangel² recounted this exchange, which remains quite relevant.

Also featured in this issue:

* ³Men in the Making²
* ³Saluting our Youth,² by Ralph M. Riggs
* ³The Ice Cream Man: Amazing Success Story of Darrell Hon²
* ³The Truth about the Liquid Devil,² by Elva Johnson

And many more! Click here to read this issue now:
http://s2.ag.org/apr121959

"Pentecostal Evangel" archived editions courtesy of Flower
Pentecostal Heritage Center (http://iFPHC.org). For current editions
of the "Evangel," click here: http//www.pe.ag.org.

   For a regularly updated list of upcoming significant Assemblies
   of God days and events--many linked to informational, registration
   or ordering pages--see the following address:
   <http://ag.org/top/events/index.cfm>.
  and public of current events within the Fellowship and
  continuing developments among its many ministries.

  If you have a news lead, contact us at news@xxxxxx

    Office of Public Relations
    General Council of the Assemblies of God
    1445 N. Boonville Avenue
    Springfield, MO 65802-1894
    USA

    Phone: (417) 862-2781