[ag-news] AG NEWS #1799: April 7, 2010

AG-NEWS: Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Please send story leads to news@xxxxxx for consideration
**Study finds future definition of Pentecostal and charismatic
Christianity in jeopardy

Recent Barna study finds that although younger generations of
Pentecostals and charismatics more open to Holy Spirit and
spiritual gifts, they seem "less certain what they believe or
how to put their faith into action." They also hold
contradictory beliefs and behaviors -- deeming training on
theology and doctrine vital if historic definitions of
Pentecostals/ charismatics are to continue. AG has already
responded with new training/doctrine materials for youth (Faith
Case) and iVALUE materials for adults.

**National Day of Prayer May 6

Annual National Day of Prayer to be held May 6, 2010. This
year's theme is "Prayer! For Such a Time As This," inspired by
Nahum 1:7. Americans called to pray for their country and seek
the Lord's guidance, protection and blessing. For more
information, visit http://www.NationalDayofPrayer.org.

**CBC students fast so homeless can eat

New student-initiated program has Central Bible College
students fasting a meal, using money saved to feed homeless at
two local Springfield shelters. Complements student-led drive
to collect blankets for homeless. More information about CBC
found at http://www.CBCag.edu.

Grueling marathon or refreshing motivator?

For too many couples, marriage can become a bad marathon
experience ? where couples pound out the days in repetitive
boredom as they push themselves to reach some far off finish
line. But that's not the kind of relationship God intended. Let
Marriage Encounter help transform your marriage into a lifelong
experience you'll look forward to every day! Sign up today at
http://agme.org.

Upcoming events: April 9-11 ? Virginia Beach, Virginia. April
23-25 ? Denver, Colorado; Spokane, Washington. April 30-May ?
Ontario, California; Kansas City , Missouri; Lake Oswego,
Oregon. Additional events scheduled through June (see above
link).

**STUDY FINDS FUTURE DEFINITION OF PENTECOSTAL AND CHARISMATIC
CHRISTIANITY IN JEOPARDY

In a recently completed study, the Barna Research Group has found
that the well-documented trend of decreasing biblical knowledge and
understanding in the United States may possibly impact the future of
the Pentecostal and charismatic movements at their cores.

The research, which was based on Christians who said they "have been
filled with the Holy Spirit" and that God had given them at least
one of the gifts of the Spirit, such as tongues, prophecy or
healing, exposed a growing shift in the belief system. The study
found that the younger generations ? Mosaics (ages 18-25) and Baby
Busters (ages 26 to 44) ? were more open to the gifts of the Spirit
(referred to as "charismatic gifts" in the report). However, the
study also found that more than two-thirds (68 percent) of the
Mosaics believe that the Third Person of the Trinity (the Holy
Spirit) is just "a symbol of God's power or presence, but is not a
living entity."

In addition, just 38 percent of Mosaics stated they "consistently
allow their lives to be guided by the Holy Spirit." This is in sharp
contrast to the Boomers (ages 45-63) and the Elders (64 and over),
where 59 and 64 percent, respectively, say they are consistently
guided by the Holy Spirit.

However, in the generations, the Mosaics (26 percent) and Busters
(29 percent) are most likely to identify themselves as Pentecostal
or charismatic, while Boomers (20 percent) are the least likely to
claim affiliation.

In what many may find surprising, the study found that the
Pentecostal and charismatic community crosses denominational,
political and geographical lines on a fairly equal basis. This
"crossover," makes the group one of the larger categories of
believers in the nation, equivalent to the number of Catholics.

David Kinnaman, president of Barna Group, suggests that ³the
charismatic and Pentecostal community in the U.S. has reached a
conflicting social status ? its numbers have established the group
as a significant social and spiritual force, yet generational
changes and the diffusion of Pentecostalism across many
denominations have made its beliefs, behaviors and identities much
less focused . . . . the next generation of charismatic and
Pentecostal Christians . . . seems much less certain what they
believe or how to put their faith into action."

Kinnaman also pointed out that because younger Christians are open
to the Holy Spirit and to spiritual gifts but hold contradictory
beliefs and behaviors, there will be a premium on the theological
and spiritual development of the next generation.

³Just like young Christians of various traditions, young
charismatics are less likely to adopt their beliefs and practices
based on deep, considered theological reflection," Kinnaman says.
"The future vitality of this portion of the Christian community will
depend in part on connecting young charismatic and Pentecostal
believers to better training on theology and doctrine.²

AG General Superintendent George O. Wood agrees, stating the
Assemblies of God is being proactive in its efforts to reach the
generations.

"We are always only a generation away from losing our future,"
states AG General Superintendent George O. Wood. "We recently
produced new materials on the four core doctrines of the Assemblies
of God ? Salvation, the Second Coming, Divine Healing and the
baptism of the Holy Spirit ? posting them online and sending the new
iVALUE DVD program to every AG church in the United States just a
few months ago. Last fall, we also released the new 'Faith Case'
materials, an interactive DVD program which teaches our fundamental
truths to children."

For the complete Barna report, see:
http://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/12-faithspirituality/360-
how-different-generations-view-and-engage-with-charismatic-and-
pentecostal-christianity.

--Dan Van Veen

**NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER MAY 6

In 1952, the United States Congress created the National Day of
Prayer, designating the day for people to set aside to come together
and pray for their country. President Ronald Reagan made the
National Day of Prayer a floating observance to fall on the first
Thursday in May.

The 2010 observance of the National Day of Prayer will be held on
Thursday, May 6. This year's theme is "Prayer! For Such a Time As
This," inspired by Nahum 1:7.

"I believe it is imperative that God¹s people come together to pray
for our nation," says Shirley Dobson, chairman of the National Day
of Prayer Task Force. "The critical challenges facing America and
the culture at large call for faithful, persevering intercession ­
not only on the National Day of Prayer, but throughout the year."

³The National Day of Prayer is a day that we as a Fellowship and a
nation should focus on spending time with God ? to seek Him for
forgiveness and guidance, but also to listen to and act upon His
response,² says James Meredith, assistant director of the AG
National Prayer Center. ³Although I believe this day is important in
bringing together millions of Christians for one purpose, for there
to be true relationship with God, we also need to be spending time
with Him in prayer on a regular basis.²

Dobson says it's critical that America remain in prayer through
challenges, noting that our country's hope lies in seeking the
Lord's guidance, protection and blessing.

"In II Chronicles 7:14, the Lord tells His people that He will
respond to their contrite and heartfelt cries of intercession,"
Dobson says, urging Americans to join with the Task Force in prayer
on May 6.

To find or host an event in your area or to learn more about the
National Day of Prayer, visit http://www.NationalDayofPrayer.org.

--Becca Hodge

**CBC STUDENTS FAST SO HOMELESS CAN EAT

This week at Central Bible College in Springfield, Missouri,
students are willingly fasting a meal as they've eagerly embraced a
new student-led ministry.

The new ³Loaves & Fishes² Program, initiated by CBC student Kevin
Zurrica, asks each class to fast and pray in place of a meal in the
Bartlett Peterson Dining Commons on the school's campus.  This will
enable students to provide approximately 200 meals this Friday to
the homeless at two nearby shelters ? shelters that don't normally
serve meals on Fridays.

"The students were very excited when they heard about this concept
to give in this way ? and jumped on board with it," says Darwin
Boston, executive director for Student Ministries at CBC. "The
students are choosing to fast meals and then bless the homeless with
the money saved from those meals."

Boston says the Loaves & Fishes outreach is in addition to an
already established student-led drive to collect blankets for the
homeless.  The plan is to keep both efforts as annual events.

"We teach our students to be missional," Boston states, "and
through this outreach, they see pragmatically and missionally
how to serve."

For more information about CBC, see its Web site at
http://www.CBCag.edu.

--AG News

   For a regularly updated list of upcoming significant Assemblies
   of God days and events--many linked to informational, registration
   or ordering pages--see the following address:
   <http://ag.org/top/events/index.cfm>.
  and public of current events within the Fellowship and
  continuing developments among its many ministries.

  If you have a news lead, contact us at news@xxxxxx

    Office of Public Relations
    General Council of the Assemblies of God
    1445 N. Boonville Avenue
    Springfield, MO 65802-1894
    USA

    Phone: (417) 862-2781